Wednesday, November 9, 2016

IBI Lab - Growing Crystals

Today I taught an inquiry based instruction lab. Inquiry based instruction, or IBI is when a teacher sets up a problem or situation and gives students the tools to solve or make a hypothesis on that issue. IBI can be difficult because you are giving a lot of trust into your students and it really forces them to work to find a conclusion, without the instructor giving them materials or an answer to the problem that is presented. In my lab, I wanted students to make a hypothesis on adding sugar and water together to make sugar crystals. This would have involved mixing the sugar with hot, warm and cold water, different amounts and different kinds of sugar.

Students were asked to make their hypothesis, a methods and materials list. Once this was completed, they could begin their experiment. Some groups had the right idea, others did not. But either way, they were applying what they knew or didn't know, just to learn more. I felt confident. I felt super confident after my last lab because I was told my improvement was awesome. I am getting better, and I wish I could do it everyday, but soon enough I will be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment