Wednesday, November 2, 2016

#TeachAgChat - Teaching Global Competency In Our Classroom

Each day there is something new out there for consumers to buy into through advertisements and publicity. One new way for agricultural educators to be one step ahead of the game is a social media platform called Twitter. Twitter is an app and website where users from around the world can communicate and share ideas with one another. Using a hashtag (#) and words directly behind it, can help categorize a topic or basically create a thread for users to follow. One hashtag that is used for agricultural educators is the #TeachAgChat. A #TeachAgChat is where a group of people gather together and talk about different topics in agriculture and education. 

For the first time, I helped host the chat and it was an interesting experience to me. I felt that it was extremely helpful, but as I learned that the three questions I created I was looking for more answers rather than to create discussion. This then became helpful as more people entered the discussion and added their thoughts. I enjoyed all of the discussion and it felt reassuring that all the people of the agricultural community would come together all over the country. 

One thing that I would consider changing about this assignment is timing. I believe the timing is not appropriate due to the fact that it is the week before and after National FFA Convention, and with that many teachers who may participate in a #TeachAgChat might have been too busy to be participate. I also personally wish there was another way to host a #TeachAgChat. I feel that Twitter can be too cluttered and it can be difficult to hold conversations within 140 characters. I feel that there should be a new social media platform that should be created where group discussion can be help while gaining valuable information with more than 140 characters. Maybe it could be accessible at all times, but have a 'hot hour' where all members strive to participate in a larger group discussion. 

Those are just some of my thoughts on the #TeachAgChat. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, but I think it is a great idea that can be greatly improved upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment