Friday, January 27, 2017

Ending Week 3 With Smiles From Cheek to Cheek!

As my week three comes to a close, I begin to reflect on the learning that I had during the week. Some things I learned this week was to be real. Be real with the students and yourself. If you don't finish a lesson, it is best to finish it as soon as possible instead of moving on to the next unit or topic. Students will end up being confused and won't take your class seriously. I ended up starting my class and just apologizing to them. Because it is a small class, I told them to feel free to stop me and say Miss. Z, you are moving too fast for us today, please slow down. I told them that just like them, I am human and I never said that I was perfect. After that conversation, the train moved out of the station and moved along through the rest of the week smoothing. It was comforting to know that we ended the week on the right foot.

For my floral design class that I picked up this week.. well. lets just say the first day was really funny. I had a powerpoint and worksheet for the students to fill out, as I was going over the power point, one student had told me to go faster and finish teaching this material. At the end of class, Renee and I talked, and she told me that the students were trying to cue me in that this was more of a review than a teaching lesson. I was totally embarrassed and I knew something wasn't right but I couldn't quite figure it out. This was a great time for me to get help from Renee, as the only things I really know about floral design is in 2009 when David Bittner taught me how to make a boutonnière in my freshman class.. That was 8 years ago, but it's not like I counted or anything.

Overall, I had a good week with some ups and downs of teaching. It all is a learning experience, and I am excited to begin week 4 with a CDE day! Next week, my floral class is learning about single vase arrangements, greenhouse is learning more about on plant ID and parts of the flower, and I will be picking up animal science with a livestock unit.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah that's one of the unavoidable challenges of student teaching... trying to figure out what they already learned and providing information from there. I am constantly asking my students if they've already seen the information and I hope me asking isn't too annoying to them. They give a few nods or say no which helps. I only wish I could provide more information if they say no. I just need to learn as much as I can in case they ask, I suppose! But if you teach in your own classroom, it will be much easier to know what they have learned or not, of course. The only challenges with that would be knowing what level of biology and chemistry they received to help explain concepts in your class. Keep working hard, Evy! I'm excited to see how you will grow this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Z! Responding to students and reading the clues will come with time :). You are in a great situation

    Editorial notes:
    1) Please consider including a powerful photo in your blog posts. I think you will really appreciate it later on for multiple reasons.

    2) On an editorial style note for your consideration: I suggest using Ms. for all female reference.

    Mrs = Married
    Miss = juvenile, unmarried
    Ms = None of your business.

    If we don't have to indicate marital status for professional men (ie Mr.), why would we wish to for professional women?

    Just some thoughts for consideration.

    ReplyDelete