Saturday, February 4, 2017

Week FOUR & Wait Til You See What's in STORE!

WEEK 4!  Where has the time gone?! I am so sad that my FIRST month of student teaching has passed, yet I am beyond excited for the future. This week, I picked up an animal science class. This is my most academic class so far, and I love it. We can have successful class discussion, and the best part is when they even try to answer their own questions.

Having 8th graders check out the Dairy Foods CDE!
I have a lot of fun with my animal science students, but this week I wanted to work on my delivery of giving instructions and discipline. My greenhouse students definately have the drive to want to learn more. This is my most difficult class for me at the moment. I only have 11 students and it is their first class of the day. I have tried from adding jokes, to funny pictures, and getting them to move around to wake them up. Every time I get the same blank stare on their faces. I have one on one conversations with them, and they are engaged, so I believe this is my one class that just isn't fully awake when I am teaching, but they are learning and understanding the material.

I have taught through powerpoints, worksheets, bookwork and hands on activities. I really need to work on directions though. I can successfully give them the "When I say begin, you will complete these items.", and I even have them repeat the steps back to me, but I just struggle with getting what I want to happen in my head to come out of my mouth so they can understand it clearly. I think I just may need more time to practice, but eventually I will get better.

Check out these awesome 8th Graders!!!

This is Scotty making a 3D model of a flower to later ID! 

Here we have the floral design class showing off their arrangements we made last week!






Coming up Next Week:

Monday: McLective Fair! I created this awesome flyer to hand out to 8th graders as a recruitment tool, so on Monday I will be spreading the word about agricultural education!

Tuesday: Ohio Tech is coming to visit! For my morning, I will be having Ohio Tech come and speak to the students about being interested in applying to a 2 year school!

My floral girls!
Greenhouse: This week, greenhouse will be working on a study guide and bookwork for an exam. We are wrapping up out plant, leaf and flower ID unit! I will then be teaching them how to ID trees, and we will be making an information booklet.

Animal Science: Starting on Monday, my students will be tested on the Dairy Industry! They loved my enthusiasm about dairy cattle. Later this week we will be having discussions with the Swine industry. Many of my students have swine SAE's so I may have them be a leader of several small group discussions.

Intro to Ag: Intro will be continuing to work on their junior prepared speeches and the creed. They will mainly work independently on their speeches until mid week where we will have a peer review and then a practice. Creed speakers will be playing games depending on the accuracy of their creed, how fast they can say it, and eventually we will have a bracket for the best creed speakers.

Floral Design: Floral design will be using this week to work on a Valentine's Day sale project. Students are in 2 groups competing for the top spot at selling flowers to the student body. Students are challenged to think outside the box, improve their marketing skills and make a profit!


3 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm glad things seem to be going well with you. I too have plant science first thing in the morning where I'm met with stares and sometimes timid responses. One thing that I've been working on is making sure that I have a conversation with each student every day. I have 20 students in my plant science class so that is really hard, but my CTs suggested doing this. There was one day that I was able to do this, though, and it was so great. I felt I could connect to my students in some small way, and hopefully they felt included and special. If you haven't tried that already, I would do so. Everyone likes hearing their name called and feeling special.

    Ultimately, just be yourself. They will warm up to your personality if you are yourself! Good luck! You're pictures are great, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evy,
    Love the pictures. Really look forward to visiting on Tuesday!

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evy,

    Good reflection on your need for clarity in providing instructions. This seems simple
    enough, but it can be a challenge and it is super important for your learners. Keep up the great work. I look forward to talking with Dr. Foster after his visit.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete