Thursday, September 15, 2016

1st Day of School Lab - Reflective on Teaching

(Citation: Pinterest, First Day of School)
On September 14th, 2016 our AEE 412 lab came together so each student could perform their lesson plan that we had created. I created a lesson plan for my unit of plant science. I decided to make the first day geared around getting to know one another.  This was my very first lesson plan that I have ever created, so bear with me on my journey. I began to greet the students one by one as they entered through the door.  My students were also my peers, so they know me pretty well and could visibly see that I was under pressure and stressed. I knew I only had 10 minutes or less to successfully fulfill my objectives. As my class sat down, I introduced my self, pointed to my white board that had the class name and my name on it, to ensure students that they were in the correct place.  I jumped into my lesson by having a bell work listed.  Some students completed the bell work and I did my best to be clear, but because I was so stressed out, it was hard for me just to focus on my students.

My mistakes that I made were pretty clear.  I wasn't focused.  I didn't list my objectives on the board. I also move my hands too much and I believe I need to bring my enthusiasm levels up. Those are just some examples of the first things I did see when watching the video of myself and actually teaching. One thing that I did think I did well on was creating a lesson plan. I had to start somewhere and I think I had done a pretty good job. Another thing I would like to tell myself that I did well with was having a creative opening of getting to know students.  I did my best to keep it interactive and interesting so different types of students could learn.  I know there is tons of room for improvement! I know practice makes perfect, so I plan to keep making lesson plans and throwing myself out there.

1 comment:

  1. Evy,
    I am going to challenge you to reformat and think critically on how you approach these reflections to lab performance.

    How are you incorporating peer feedback?
    How are you connecting to past (or future) course topics?
    What specific items are you identifying that: 1) worked or 2) you want to focus in future labs?

    This is particular blog post is more an example of "play by play summary"

    ReplyDelete