Friday, September 16, 2016

Weekly Web Wonder #4 - Becoming a Better Teachers

This week's readings would have really helped me if I could have completed them before our lab on Wednesday, but with my current workload it just isn't possible.  Hopefully my lab lesson next week will run a little more smoothly with the readings I completed.
Image taken from Margaret Powers -
https://margaret-powers.com/2016/01/18/
dealing-with-students-
anxiety-in-the-classroom/

A mistake that I made during the teaching was not writing the classroom objectives on the board.  As I continued reading, students have major anxiety over the lack of clarity if the objectives are not posted. Students want to do a good job and have goals that can be met, it provides clarity and satisfaction to students when they see and objective and know the answer or can complete it once class is over.

Another thing that I had missed during my lesson plan was making sure to add verbs in the classroom.  Verbs such as list, describe, explain and translate are all action oriented and measurable. This then allows the instructor to make sure each student is making progress and staying on task. The image that I had posted I plan on referring back to so I can add more action verbs in my classroom, and it also double dips with Bloom's Taxonomy, which according to my other past blog posts, I am completely OBSESSED with!  Sometimes finding the right word is the hardest thing to do.
Image taken from Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/182255116145194120/

As I continue to learn each and every day of how a lesson plan, unit and classroom should be set up, I am beginning to realize all of the useful tactics that are behind group work. Cooperative learning in short is an approach to organizing academics together with social experiences. So assigning groups, behavior management and the evaluation of learning all would fall into the category of cooperative learning. One thing that makes cooperative learning so special is the diversity of each group.  Every individual brings their own ideas to the table and it makes the cooperative learning most effective with the differences in students working together in the group.  Another thing that really can make learning ineffective or effective is the design and arrangement of the room.  From where the chairs and desks are placed, to the different labels, signs and colors can help influence your classroom in a positive manner.

Throughout teaching, most people probably learn best by doing. Group teaching can be a little difficult to handle because of so much students and the different ways they learn. Reading more, I got into the role of group teaching.  It really provides group instruction, but is only really successful if the students are present in the learning process. Some of the best ways to provide students information in large classrooms is through powerpoints, handouts, transparencies and through the chalk board.  As this does not usually have the students active, it can be crucial to keep their attention by doing other activities. Sometimes planning to give information to students includes a lecture. For a lecture to be successful, it should be short and sweet. There should also be an outline.  Outlines can be formed in different ways, but the most successful ones are through chronological, spatial, cause and effect and problems and solutions orders.  It is always important to make sure your students are engaged in your learning.  If they are not, then not much learning happens and it wastes your time and theirs.

Once you have a strong base in a classroom, management will flow in next. Instructors should always continuously be checking for work.  Step in if you see confusion or a possible question.  Teachers are always supposed to be supportive, and here while a situation may be occurring it is very important to answer any possible questions as soon as possible on clarity.

Once the students learn the materials, an evaluation must be given.  This assessment could be a test, verbal, a paper or an informative poster.  Assessments can be in almost any form, as long as it shows that that student is learning.

I know this is my reflective blog post and I should always be bring more wood to make that pile higher, but in my case today I think I successfully did that.  I will be going back to my blog and reading even more about this.  I find the actions in the classroom probably the most interesting, as I look at scientific research to see what findings I may stumble upon or may help me in the classroom.  Thank you for joining me on this journey and I will be posting again soon!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Evy.

    Remember, you don't have to capture "everything" in your weekly investment blogs. Pick one thing that you really think is going to help your #teachag journey and dig deep with it,expounding on one specific topic.

    For example: You could have done this entire blog on the specific one topic of cooperative learning. (just an example)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something that I think the article mentioned that I just remembered reading your blog is assigning jobs for students within groups. You talked about diversity within groups and I think doing this not only ensures that students have a specific role in the group project, making them feel more purposeful, but can cater to their strengths. Things like writer, graphics, fact-finder, spokes-person. Someone might write the information, someone else might design the poster, someone might find the info, and the final person would have to present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The action verbs are soooooo helpful! The step by step process of making our plans better is sometimes frustrating but it will be cool to see the growth!

    ReplyDelete