Friday, September 9, 2016

Weekly Web Wonder #3 - Why Do We Plan?

Why Do We Plan?
Why do we plan?  Seriously, why?  Do you plan your day out? Plan what clothes you may wear, plan for the weather? When taking a vacation do you just go, hope there may be vacancy at a hotel and live life on the edge?

 Merriam-Webster's dictionary definition of planning is as follows; "Planning: The act or process of making or carrying out plans; specifically : the establishment of goals, policies, and procedures for a social or economic unit." (Merriam-Webster.)

So maybe in simpler terms, planning allows us to achieve or do something, whether that be planning a baseball game with friends or planning a lesson plan. So, why would you plan a lesson plan? Simple answers that I had thought were to be organized and to help create substitute lessons.  This weeks class had me dig deeper into the meaning of planning a lesson.  Ideally, you would begin to plan your year from the classes you will teach, from then you can divide it into sections of unit plans and then your lesson plans.  I am no expert in lesson plans, and I don't plan to be for a long time but practice makes perfect.

Domains of Learning
(Learning Domains.)

What I would specifically like dive into is something short and sweet, and to the point.  I wanted to cover the domains of learning.  For myself, in grade school and college, I would have and still learn best if a lesson plan is tailored to my different domains of learning.  I plan to experiment with lesson plans on what they are based off of.  By saying this, I mean I will always have daily objectives and essential questions, but one day I may base my plans off of just the different domains of learning and see how well my class can fully understand the material.  I will include different interest approaches and maybe some unusual assessments for the end, but I have some time to figure all of that stuff out.

To the right is one of the many images I plan to help create my lesson plan.  I am very much a visual learner, so looking at the cognitive, affective and psychomotor skills with their descriptive words will help me build a lesson working together with my objectives. I honestly believe that by using the three domains of learning I can create successful students that will grow beyond their goals that they have set.  My purpose through this journey is to help other achieve to their highest ability, and through the domains of learning, lesson planning and my lesson objectives, I plan to do just that!


References:
(Merriam-Webster.)(n.d.). Retrieved September 09, 2016, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/planning 

Learning Domains. (n.d.). Retrieved September 09, 2016, from http://casebasedlearning.weebly.com/learning-domains.html 





3 comments:

  1. Great job Evy! I am also a visual learner. We have to be mind full of the other domains as teachers. I look forward to learning about different ways we can cover all domains during instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting graphic incorporating the domains! We do have great lessons if we can remember to work in all three learning MODALITIES (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic) into every lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also excited to challenge myself in domains and modalities Evy. It is funny how the time we put in planning makes the learning better and more enjoyable and hopefully more effective for students.

    ReplyDelete