Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Throwing Week 6 Into The Mix!

This week, I really wanted to focus on my organization pertaining to mainly my eighth grade classes. I just picked them up last week and I am finishing up Mrs. Cambruzzi's lesson of completing the creed speaking and junior prepared speeches. My creed speakers are virtually done, but my junior prepared speeches are mixed everywhere. I tried different things of having them peer review each other and then having them print them out into note cards and practice. Some speeches were very well written while others had an insane amount of spelling errors.

I guess to just get it out and say it, I am frustrated! I guess I am not skilled enough to teach an English class, but I don't know how to motivate students to write their papers. I have student who have had 4 weeks to write these papers and don't have enough for their speeches. I just feel stuck as a teacher. So one thing I don't really like is that I can't figure out how to motivate my students while they work. One thing that Mrs. Cambruzzi helped me with today was having the students print out their work and have them mark it up. I liked that they could physically see the changes and suggestions that other students made for their projects.  This was very helpful to myself and the students.

Tomorrow, I think the students will have more motivation because their grades are due and their report cards will be sent out. If they have not completed their work to the rubrics satisfaction, they will be getting a bad grade, and these students are HIGHLY concerned and motivated when they disappointed and receive bad grades.

I am looking forward to this next week and ACES this weekend! I can't wait!

Looking Into Next Week:
Intro to Ag: Presentation of speeches/edits
Greenhouse: Teacher Appreciation Day/Soils Unit!
Animal Science: Teacher Appreciation Day/ Swine Unit!
Floral Design: Centerpieces for Teacher Appreciation Day
Senior Ag: Teacher Appreciation Day Set Up / Host / Tear Down

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy ACES. It should be fun! Gotta love editing speeches, and yes some times it is best to print out and mark it all up; old school, I know, but effective!

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evy, just remember that grades does not motivate every student. As you plan with the 8th graders, keep in mind the saying "it is not how smart are you; it is how you are smart" when designing ideas around assessment that reflect multiple intelligences.

    DF

    PS. Please have a goal of a minimum of one photo per blog post!

    ReplyDelete