Thursday, April 13, 2017

FINAL Reflections of Teaching At McGuffey High School

I never thought it would be here, and it got here a lot faster then I thought it would.. my last day of my student teaching internship.  I came into teaching feeling a lack of confidence in myself and now I am leaving with more self-confidence, great relationships and all of the memories that I have made at McGuffey.  I feel like the word bittersweet is over used, and doesn't explain my emotions about how I finished this experience, but it is truly bittersweet. I am beyond excited to move onto my next journey, and I am so incredibly proud of myself for moving 6 hours away from home for 14 weeks. On the other hand, I will miss my students and I know that they will miss me. I will forever hold on to our talks in the greenhouse, helping student who have had a bad day, and always photo-bombing their snapchats. They are the ones who have made it worth while to me.



This student teaching internship has taught me a few new things, and here are some of them:


  • Students will always come first in my classroom. I want them to feel comfortable and safe. They all need to feel welcomed and loved, even in a school and educational setting. 
  • Ag Teachers do more than just teach... We check on show animals, water the greenhouse on days off, make sure our kid's are okay, wipe back the tears and bring on the smiles, and most importantly help those students find their place in life and help them grow. 
  • School politics are never-ending. It is so important to have a good relationship with your administrators, and make sure that everyone is on the same page. Always keep in mind the number one thing, our students. 
  • Technology is changing. Always. As a teacher, it is our job to learn and know the ways that technology is changing, so we can integrated it into our classrooms. 
  • Last but not least, student's won't care about what you know, where you've been or your personal experiences, until they know how much you care. Always put those kiddo's first. 
Well, I can't begin to thank everyone who has helped me reach this point enough. I feel so privileged and blessed to work alongside some fantastic students and two awesome cooperating teachers. It has been quite the educational journey, McGuffey.  

Until my next teaching adventure happens, next stop exploring to find your purpose in agriculture. 

Evelyn A. Zaleski

No comments:

Post a Comment