Thursday, April 6, 2017

Visiting Mr. Rider @ Tyrone

On Friday March 10, I traveled Tyrone, Pennsylvania to visit Matthew Rider and Tiffany Hoy. I was greeted at the front door by Mrs. Hoy and she walked me through her program. I had been there before, so I had seen the shop that she had, but this time her hydroponics system was new! It was cool to see the different plants growing in the water, and how it was very welcoming to the room.

I walked in to see Mr. Rider teaching his class. He started with a small class with about 8 girls and 2 boys. It was laid back, as they were completing his projects. It was cool to see how his chalk board was set up, as he had his daily objectives and his do now on the board. It was easy to see and find what was to be done that day. Matt went through his normal day, and I asked students questions and they answered and explained to me what they were doing.

One animal science class had rats and they were measuring the rats' weight and tail length to see if there was any difference in nutritional value of the food they were giving it. Each student had their research completed and they were finishing the graphs and images on their poster. Another class that I observed was an introduction class where they were completing wood working projects for making a stool. These students were at all different levels and it was great to see Mr. Rider interact with the other students at those different levels.

Overall, there were some major and minor differences in both of our programs. Their program had a smaller space but I liked their desk and classroom set up much better.  Overall, both programs are highly successful, and it was fun to go and visit another class for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment