Saturday, April 8, 2017

Week Thirteen & I'm a Teaching Machine!

Wow. What a week!!

This week was absolutely crazy!! On Monday, we had the NOCTI test for our seniors. As a student, I thought the NOCTI was a well organized test, but little did I know that on the teaching side, holy crap. It was a hot mess. Teachers don't get a substitute for the day of the NOCTI, so they are responsible for also teaching class while helping monitor and get students prepared for this test.

Tuesday was a much calmer and better day. I had the pleasure of Dr. Foster's attendance for his final review of my teaching for the spring semester. I thought my day went well, and personally, I feel even more confident as a teacher. I can feel and see my growth over the semester, which was really nice because I don't know if I could ever say that about any other semester at Penn State. After my day with Dr. Foster, I went home and we had our conference call. To be honest, I know there is good information being shared there, but I have learned why my parents hate conference calls. -They are just definitely not my thing. I don't feel that it can accomplish as much, as if we were face to face, and I just feel really uncomfortable talking. I rather type to get my opinion out so that I do not feel that I am interrupting someone.

Wednesday, we had Senator Bartolotta come out to McGuffey High School. This was very exciting because I felt that we could introduce our students to another from of agriculture that is neglected... politics!  Students can make a difference in agriculture by being involved and running in politics. Another active thing that happened on Wednesday night was the New and Beginning teacher workshop. I don't want to discuss too much of this, as I just did a blog post on it! I did enjoy my time, and I thought it was extremely helpful.

So, back to this week. Some gems for this week was my confidence. I have struggled with gaining confidence in myself my entire life, but this week I felt that I was coming out on top. I have felt that I was nailing my objectives and keeping my students creative and busy.

Some opportunities for improvement include reading my students better. This week, I have had some good conversations with them. I do want them to know that I care, even if I might only see them for just 15 weeks. Other things include small classroom management strategies. Giving gestures or small signals to get my class to listen to me. I feel though if I just started that now, it wouldn't make a difference with only 3 teaching days left.


Overall, it is becoming quite bittersweet. My students surprise me everyday, and they are the ones who have really kept me going.

Here's to my last week!

Looking ahead:
Construction: Electrical Wiring/Ohms Law
Intro to Ag: Root/Leaves - Plant Science
Animal Science: Meat Science!






1 comment:

  1. Evy,

    I hope you had a great last week!

    Face to Face for meeting is always preferred, but obvious geographic challenges make that difficult. As with anything, you get out what you put in, so think about how you are approaching our faculty meetings with one remaining!

    ReplyDelete